PhytoBasinRiskA new model to estimate the risk of phytoplankton blooms along large river systems
- PhytoBasinRisk is a new MONERIS module to simulate phytoplankton development from sources to main rivers.
- PhytoBasinRisk simulates single and joint effects of climate change and management options in large river basins on phytoplankton.
- PhytoBasinRisk accounts for specific demands of algal groups under the longitudinal changing abiotic conditions.
- PhytoBasinRisk demonstrates the role of residence time, temperature and light for phytoplankton in a complex river network.
- Application of PhytoBasinRisk on river Middle Elbe in EU-project MARS was validated to algal data from 98 monitoring stations.
- Light simulation along rivers is spatially adjusted to shading by riparian vegetation, for which estimations are based on derivatives from ATKIS land use data.
- Common data sources: River morphology and land use mainly derivable from GIS maps and time series of input parameters (climate, flow, nutrients) provided by meteorological services and by external models.
- Open and transparent documentation for model code, constants, functions and variables and hints to derive model variables from common data sources.
For further informations have a look at accompanying material an.